The last chapter for British book stores
2030: Dead End for the High Street
- Remember Borders, Booksetc, Dillons and Ottaker’s? The traditional high street book store industry is collapsing at 2.3% sales decline a year; with just 1,071 retail businesses remaining.
- Between the beginning of 2005 and the end of 2012 the number of high street bookshops in the UK halved
- We could have reached many bookshops final chapter with just 535 left in our major towns and cities by 2030.
- Independent book shops declined from 1535 in 2008 to 987 in 2013.
- With Amazon Prime members now receiving free Kindle bestsellers in the US, in its new Prime Reading offer, the story of the High Street book store is a long one; but it could be reaching the final chapter.
Don't miss the fascinating interactive timeline charting the demise of favourite High Street brands at www.parcelhero.com/highstreet